Thursday, March 24, 2011

Our PLaYrOoM

Remember clear back...oh, about a year ago...when I said I was working on sprucing up our playroom?  A YEAR ago! Where does this time go?  Well, with all of the spring cleaning (nesting) going on around here I was able to clean up enough to get a few pictures of the 'finished' room...still not where I would like it to be, but it will do for now.


The entire purpose of this room is to provide a place for my kids and all of their mess  toys.  This room is a bit separate from the rest of the house, it's a bonus room above our garage.  I love that they have their space to play and make their messes and (the best part) if I don't want to, I don't have to go up there and see that mess.  Out of sight, out of mind...I can choose to ignore it completely.

One of my favorite things in this room are my Ikea shelves.  They are the perfect place to store lots of stuff and help keep things looking organized and clean.  The big canvas storage bins work great to hide all the little nic-naks that need a place to be...they also are great to incorporate the colors of the room.  I found these at Walmart and Target.

When we painted, I knew I wanted to put chalkboard paint somewhere in the room.  We decided on doing a strip on the back wall...





I finally finished the ABC canvases that I talked about here.


Another good (cheap) storage solution: garbage cans.  I found the blue garbage cans on the bottom shelf below at Target for $2.50 each.  They're hard plastic and sturdy enough to handle my boys.


I found these paper mache letters at Joann's and covered them with scrapbook paper.


Also, talked about these owl canvases here.


And that's it.  Our playroom...on a good day. 
Believe me, it never looks like this!  Usually the carpet is not visible.




29 comments:

The Girl Creative said...

I love it! Looks great. :)

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

I love this playroom! I really like how you incorporated so many letters. I am such a fan of the alphabet, in kids rooms because I remember how much they inspired me when I was little. I also love how you organized your books by color! I would never have thought of that!

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

Can you tell us more about the "ruler"on the wall near the door? Is that a height ruler, did you make it yourself?

the fiCkLe piCkLe said...

The ruler on the wall is a height ruler. It came with magnets to stick on the metal strip and mark your kids heights. My mom actually bought it for me at a local craft botique...sorry can't offer anymore info than that.

{autie} said...

I want to play in there! how fun!
great job!

Lotte Lu and Brother Too said...

I LOVE your play room! And I have spent the past 30 minutes LOVING your blog! I adore your parties...I have a little girl and we were just recently blessed with a little man and it has been hard for me to switch to "boy mode", but I CANNOT WAIT to have a pinewood derby birthday party! I made my 3 week old promise me we could do a car party as soon as he is old enough!

Thanks so much for all the inspiration!

Veronica said...

I love your playroom! You all did a such great job!

Ms. Chan said...

Wow!! I absolutely love the room!!

Simply Bungalow said...

I looks wonderful. What a fun place to play!

Jenny {Heavenly Blossoms} said...

WOW! the colors the setup everything, is so nice!!! What a cool room for the kiddies!!! GREAT JOB!

kiki comin said...

amazing! i love it...the colors, the functionality..it really is great!:)

Carpenter's said...

Soo, sooo cute!! I love the idea of having a ruler to measure the height of the boys. What did you use metal for the shiny part or paint? Too cute.

Sweet Peas and Bumblebees said...

Your playroom is amazing!!! Your kiddos are so lucky to have such a creative mom! My requirements of the next house we buy is a bonus room where I can create a playroom just just like yours. Thanks for sharing such a great project!

http://sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com/

~Danielle~ said...

I absolutely adore your play room! It is truly gorgeous! Well done..

Mindy said...

Where are those blue chairs from? I love how funky they are!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I COMPLETELY adore this room!! I especially love the alphabet canvases. Too cute! I featured this today on my Wednesday's Wowzers:

http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2011/03/wednesdays-wowzers-all-kinds-of-spring.html

Thanks for inspiring!
~Alison

the fiCkLe piCkLe said...

Mindy-
I got the blue pod chairs at Ikea a few years ago. I think they might still sell them?? My kids love that they can spin and hide in them.

Sara Zenger said...

Your play room is awesome! I love your lego table!!!

MJ @ 517 Creations said...

Love the playroom!! Do you mind sharing what size canvases you used for the alphabet prints? And what font? I am thinking of doing something similar for my son's playroom! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

Katie said...

Love it! What's the paint color? Brand,name, where from? thanks!

Kim @ The Celebration Shoppe said...

This room is adorable and LOVE the colors! Plus, the menu is so my kiddos too. ;)

Kimberly said...

Did you ever do a tutorial on your growth chart? I've wanted to do one forever.

Gen said...

Did you buy the lego table? Can you post a better pic of it at all? I would love to try and make one for my son. I love this room and love that you seem to love Ikea just as much as I do lol

lauren said...

Oh my gosh! This room is so cute!

I really love how you used the garbage cans. They're a really cute affordable idea.

I love the shelves as well. I'm a huge IKEA shopper. Most of the furniture in my room is from IKEA.

Super cute!

mommy Orkid Belle said...

You have one beautiful playroom. If I was a kid, I wouldn't want to leave this room. :) Thanks for sharing! It makes me want to talk to my husband and finish at least one of the additional rooms just for the my little boy and coming little girl's playroom. :) LOL! Awesome!

Adin B

Sweet November said...

Just found your blog and it has answered and gave life to all my decorating ideas as of late! I knew someone in the world had out nursery colors and made it look amazing!!! And the play room is awesome! Just spent half of my nap time scoping out the goods! I'm hooked!

Thanks!

A.F.

Emily said...

found your room on pinterest. I am wondering if you will share the coler of the walls. I have every similar shade spread out on my table as we speak.
THANKS!

Anonymous said...

love those little chairs with the organe polka dot pillows!

Anonymous said...

Found you from Pinterest! I love your playroom.
I have a very similar one at our house, but it is actually what used to be our formal living room and it is open to everything...I wish I could close a door when it got messy, but the ikea storage helps to make clean up easy!