Friday, March 4, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes...a How to

I've had a lot of questions about these cupcakes that I made last year for St. Patricks Day since they were featured on Sister's Stuff today.  So let me see if I can help you all out by answering a few questions here.










1.  I used Airhead Extremes Sour Belts for the rainbows.  You can usually find them in any candy isle.  I recently found them in Target's dollar spot.
 


A trick when using these, they're usually a little soft and don't hold their shape when they're fresh out of the package.  So I usually open up the package and let them sit for a day or two before putting them on my cupcakes.

 

2.  To make the cake rainbowed I divided the batter (make sure to use a white cake mix) equally into 5 different bowls, colored each bowl of batter (colors of the rainbow).


 ...then spooned a bit of each color into the cupcake liner til it was 3/4 full.  I used my mini cookie scoop (only filled about half full) to get them filled as evenly as possible.


 This step does take a little bit of time, but it's worth it I promise!


 Also, I used gel food coloring to get more vibrant colors.


And the final product.  So fun to rip open that wrapper and find the rainbow surprise inside.



3.  I use real butter for the frosting...gotta use the real stuff!

Easy Butter Cream Frosting:

1/2 cup butter (room temp)
1 lb. powder sugar (about 4 cups)
3 TBS milk
2 tsp. Vanilla

Cream butter til light and fluffy.  Add sugar 1 cup at a time mixing well inbetween.  Add milk and vanilla.  Then whip until it's light and fluffy...really, keep whipping!  Then I spoon my frosting into a quart sized baggie, snip one corner of the bag and pipe the frosting in swirls on top of the cupcake.



Hope that answers the questions.
Good LUCK...hee, hee...with cupcake making!  Love these, they are one of my very favorites. 

6 comments:

Allison said...

WOW!! These are fantastic!! My kids will be so excited to make these :)

Kiera said...

an easier way to do the cupcakes is to scoop the batter into bags, color it in the bag and then snip a corner off the bag and squeeze some of each color into the cupcake liner...and the best part-NO clean up, just toss the bags when you're done!

Erica {B is for Boy} said...

These are so cool! Makes me want to have a party just so I can make these:)

The Marsden 6 said...

Would you ever record a video of you doing the frosting and share the frosting recipe!?
Everytime I try to do my frosting like that it ends up looking like...let's just say, it's not pretty!

Kelli said...

I made these today with my kids and they thought the cupcakes were just magical! Thanks for such a fun recipe...and GREAT music to go with it!

Unknown said...

I made these for St. Patrick's Day this year. They were awesome! I happened to find shamrock sprinkles. The frosting recipe was easy & delicious. Tips: blend coloring in bowl and then pipe into muffin tins using a ziploc with one corner snipped. If the frosting gets crumby, add a TSP of milk early.